Introduced by the British as a sport and pastime, horse race betting has been an active avenue of entertainment for years but officially considered legal in India for over two decades. Not only is it one of the most popular betting activities for residents and there are also a high number of races to wager on, but horse betting is considered a public entertainment spectacle. This page is dedicated to providing more information to bettors on legal horse race betting in India and has collected details on the local and central India gambling laws, how the horse race betting framework is laid out, and more. This page will serve as a resource for all those wanting to learn more about how to legally bet on horse races in India, who governs horse betting activities, and the legality of betting on horse races.
Is It Legal To Bet On Horse Races Online In India?
Yes, but it must be done through legitimate online racebooks. India gambling laws permit the use of offshore racebooks, but they must be licensed and regulated. The only India based online gambling takes place in Sikkim, as they are the only state to vote-in legal online gambling. However, Sikkim online gambling only offers casino games. There are yet to be any licenses issued for online horse betting. This is why India residents of choose to use licensed India friendly offshore online gambling sites. Horse racing is considered a game of skill versus a game of chance in India. This helps distinguish it amongst legal and illegal betting activities.
Top Online Racebooks For Betting On Horse Races In India
Only Reputable And Trustworthy Sites Listed
The offshore betting market is dense with pari-mutuel betting options. However, not all of these racebooks are considered legitimate in the eyes of the local government. Our team of online betting analysts put together a list of the best available India friendly sportsbooks and India mobile gambling apps hosting horse race betting lines after conducting an intensive search process. We screen for items such as legal licensing, regulation, betting line selection, wagering types, security features, customer service options and bonuses. Each one of our recommended sites is legal for Indian bettors to use. Check them out for yourself through the links provided in the table below:
|Site Name||Bonus Offer||Indian Accepted||Visit Site|
|100% Max ₹15,000||Play Now|
|50% Max $1,000||Play Now|
|50% Max $1,000||Play Now|
Who Regulates Horse Race Betting In India?
The Turf Authorities offer pari-mutuel betting domestically at the race tracks as well as off course sites. They reserve the right to be the only hosts of brick-and-mortar betting. They are aware of offshore sites with lines on horse races, but the Turf Authorities cannot do anything about banning them. That would come down to a government decision and the Indian government has yet to outlaw these types of sites.
Types Of Live Bets You Can Make
Most bets take place through brick-and-mortar betting shops. These establishments have several different wagers you can make on horse races. You may or may not be able to access these types of wagers through offshore sites, but we’ve included a list of common bets just in case you encounter them.
- Win – placing a wager on a specific horse to win; horse must finish first for bet to hit
- Place – placing a wager on a horse to either finish first, second or third; places can change based on numbers of horse in race. If less than 8, only first and second places apply. If more than 11, a successful fourth place may be added
- Shp – “second horse pool,” placing a wager on a horse to come in second
- Forecast – 2 horses are selected to finish in first and second (order matters when placing wager)
- Quinella – 2 horses are selected to finish in first and second (order does not matter)
- Jodi – somewhat new wager; is when you bet on a combination of 2 horses, bet hits if either horse is successful
- Bar Bet – betting on the favored horse to lose
- Tanala – betting on 3 horses to win first, second and third in a specific order. If the first hits and the second and third places reverse, a small payout is still issued
- Treble – selecting the correct winners in 3 different races
- Jackpot – selecting the correct winner of 5 different races
- Super Jackpot – selecting the correct winner of 6 different races
- Kenchi – selecting winners in a minimum of 3 races or a maximum of 5 races
Deposit Methods For Online Horse Betting In India
You need to be able to successfully fund your betting ventures in order to win anything. Our recommended online sportsbooks have multiple deposit methods available for Indian bettors. Best of all, you can make deposits in the native rupee currency. The most commonly accepted deposit methods are :
- Credit/debit cards
- Prepaid cards (includes international gift cards)
- Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Dash, Litecoin, Eretheum)
- eWallets (Skrill and Neteller)
- Wire transfers
- Money orders